Our office does accept and perform DOT physicals for our ACTIVE primary care patients.
These physicals must be scheduled in advance and they are fee-for-service based appointments meaning insurance will not cover your cost. The price for a DOT physical is $130.00 to be paid prior to being seen. Please bring all paperwork with you to the appointment. The DMV or your employment will provide you with a copy.
The basic requirements for passing a DOT physical exam are:
- Need to have 20/40 correctable vision in each eye as well as both combined. Vision correction devices such as glasses or contacts are permitted.
- Ability to distinguish color is necessary.
- Hearing needs to be good enough to notice a forced whisper at a minimum distance of 5 feet.
- Maximum allowable blood pressure is 160/100. Use of prescription medication to achieve this threshold is permitted.
- Cannot have diabetes that requires insulin injections; diabetes controlled through a diet or oral medication is permitted.
- Blood sugar may not be higher than 200.
- Use of schedule 1 drugs is disallowed.
- In case you are currently diagnosed with a cardiovascular disease such as congestive cardiac failure, collapse or cardiac insufficiency, then you will need to provide the Medical Examiner with a stress test as well as with a note from your physician which states that you are able to drive a commercial motor vehicle with no restrictions.